Dubai’s butterfly garden
Team Saffron Souk recently popped out to visit Dubai’s Butterfly Garden. Although we knew there would be butterflies, we weren’t certain what to expect. Like Dubai’s Miracle Garden which is currently under going a revamp, it’s slightly mad (we did expect that) and altogether quite enchanting.
Open every day from 9am to 6pm on the Umm Sequim East Road (that runs between Mall of the Emirates and Arabian Ranches), it’s definitely a road trip to put on the family outing list, and at AED 50 a pop we recommend you make the most of the garden setting and hang around for the obligatory ice cream…
2. Have you ever seen anything like it (we haven’t!)?
4. – 6. The space is made up of a series of domes (we visited three of them but have a sneaky feeling that the overall scheme eventually will consist of nine structures). And to be honest, after initial reservations that lasted for perhaps 5 minutes, we found we quickly regressed to childhood and got quite excited about the madness of the place.
7. & 8. Although you would expect there to be butterflies, they were literally everywhere and we found ourselves oooohing and arhhhhing over every single one.
9. We did find the Butterfly museum intriguing and totally off the wall. Very much Damien Hirst inspired, with a UAE twist of course.
10. H.H. Sheikh Mohammed like we have never seen him before…
11. & 12. The butterfly details were everywhere – making up the wall art and the floor pattern.
13. There were even butterflies in resin in the exterior hard landscape details!
14. – 17. The cheesiness factor was off the charts but that’s what made us love the place.
And for the love of butterfly’s, we had a hunt around the Saffron Souk online marketplace to see what those makers and merchants from the Gulf had in stock and we found some goodies…
18. & 19. Made in the UAE butterfly earrings from Dubai based Niketa Designs. 20. Teething necklace from baby lu. 21. & 22. hand decorated wooden trinket boxes from Elemental North. 23. Cinderella Butterfly costume from TutuBug Abu Dhabi. 24. Butterfly Greeting Card from Studio TravelArtsLife. 25. Cute Butterfly back pack from Sweet Baby Street.